How do I prevent identity theft?
Here are some important steps you should take to protect your personal and financial information:
- Protect your PIN and passwords — never write them down or share them with anyone, including personal finance apps, internet browsers, or password managers
- Use a different PIN/password for each of your bank cards and online accounts and don’t save your payment details on an app or website
- Never give out personal or financial information over the phone, through mail, email, or online unless you have initiated the contact or know who you're dealing with
- Never click on links or attachments in suspicious emails, especially those asking you for sensitive information
- Limit the amount of personal information you post about yourself online and be selective when accepting friends on social media platforms
- Avoid entering your credit card number or any other sensitive financial information into a public computer and always log out when from any site you visit
- Always report lost or stolen cards, cheques, or debit cards immediately
If you’ve shared your personal or financial information with someone who seems suspicious, contact us as soon as possible at 1-866-625-0561 so we can help.
Visit our Cybersecurity & Fraud Hub to learn how to prevent identity theft.